· It is believed that bathing Shiva Linga with panchagavya or milk, honey, water, and bael leaves refers to the purification of mind, body and soul.
· Offering Ganga Jal represents the attainment of enlightenment.
· Applying vermilion paste to the top of Shiva Linga represents virtue.
· Offering fruits to the Shiva Linga indicates the durability and fulfillment of the desires.
· Offering incense sticks represents wealth.
· Offering ghee diya leads to the attainment of knowledge.
· Offering betel leaves provides happiness, prosperity and satisfaction.
· Offering bhang represents pleasing the Lord Shiva.
· Chanting mantras like “Om Namah Shivaya”, “Karpur Gauram Karunavataram, Sansara Saram Bhujagendra Haram, Sada Vasantam Hridayaravinde, Bhavam Bhavani Sahitam Namami”, etc represents the mind concentration and peacefulness.
· Keeping fast at Mahashivratri represents control over great natural forces, control over desire, anger and jealousy and power to conquer the evil power.