Meaning of Gayatri Mantra –
“May the divine light of the Supreme Being illuminate our intellect, to lead us along a path of righteousness”
What is it?
ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेन्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात् ।।
Gaya which means vital energy and trâyate, meaning preserves, protects, gives deliverance, grants liberation. Gayatri Mantra is the vedic meter in which verse is composed. It consists of twenty-four syllables – three lines of eight syllables each. It is an ancient mantra whose presence is marked in the Rig Veda. It is often referred to as the oldest and the powerful mantra of all times. It was chanted as a vital mantra in the ancient texts Bhagwad Gita, Manusmriti and in many texts of Buddhism. It was originally written in Sanskrit about 2500 to 3500 years ago. It is chanted worldwide today with faith.
Brahadaranyaka Upanisad 5.14.4 (Gayatri as the Protector)
The Gayatri Mantra is based on truth. For truth is based on strength. Strength is breath, and is based on breath. So, Gayatri protects (tra) the wealth (gaya) (the breath!) of those who speak it with earnestness and devotion. When one recites Gayatri on behalf of someone, it protects that person’s breath too.
What does it signify?
Gayatri is the five faced goddess who reigns over our 5 senses. Chanting of Gayatri mantra activates our 7 chakras and makes it easier for the life source energy, Prana to flow freely eradicating all the ailments of mind, body and soul. Chanting of the mantra makes it possible for our soul to unite with the Supreme Being and transcend this material world. Vedas says that there are seven spheres or planes of existence, each more spiritually advanced than the previous one. Through spiritual awareness and development, we can transcend those spheres and morph with the Supreme Being.
Benefits of Chanting the Mantra
- Chanting this mantra unblocks the chakras and the prana starts flowing which cures from all the mental illnesses and physical ailments.
- Chanting this mantra 108 a day, opens up our heart, infuses new philosophies and widen our mindset, our vision gets cleared.
- It makes our mind sharper.
- Gifts us the ability to see through people and things.
- Strengthens our immune system.
- Invokes the spiritual doors in us which includes the ability to heal one self and others.
How and When to Chant the Mantra:
- Ideally, this mantra should be chanted 3 times a day; Dawn, mid-day and dusk.
- Chanting it 108 times gives the maximum benefits of it.
- Each syllable holds meaning in this ancient treasure. It should be properly pronounced and enunciated
- In case, you find having a sleepless night, try chanting it and you will fall asleep.
- Consider it a medium to reach while chanting it, emphasizing and feeling each word you utter.
- Gayatri Mantra is chanted as a chant to meditate or as a prayer to the God.
- People from all over the globe understand mystical power and chant for the world peace.
- Gayatri Mantra can be downloaded on phones and listen to when you cannot chant it.
Mantra in English and its translation from Sanskrit to English:
“OM BUHR, BHUVA, SWAHA
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YONAHA PRACHODAYAT”
Om! Brahma or Almighty God
Bhuhr embodiment of vital spiritual energy (Pran)
Bhuvah destroyer of sufferings
Swaha embodiment of happiness
Savitur bright, luminous like the Sun
Varenyam best, most exalted
Bhargo destroyer of sins
Dheemahi may imbibe
Prachodayat may inspire
We meditate on the glory of the Creator;
Who has created the Universe;
Who is worthy of Worship;
Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light;
Who is the remover of Sin and Ignorance;
May He open our hearts and enlighten our Intellect.
Image Source: 1